DBT #253 Songs about Musicians Vol 2

 


It is fitting that on the second volume of "Songs about Musicians" Taylor Swift is front and center.  It was her song that made me revisit the theme and gave me a reason to share some recent adds to the library.  (remember if I don't have the music in my library it can not be shared in the blog)

In researching this playlist, of course I could not add any of the same 14 songs that made it into Volume 1 Edition No. 32.  So when I went back to it, I updated it with one of those fancy One Click Playlists, go check it out HERE.


So let's get listening, here's the playlist:


1) Tim McGraw - Taylor Swift

As I'm learning about Taylor's music, this song sparked my curiosity and while it inspired this playlist it's more about my favorite part of music, "it transports you to a place or a face in your memories"  Wikipedia said 

"Swift knew that she and her senior boyfriend would break up at the end of the year when he left for college. In order to cope with the complicated emotions she was experiencing, Swift wrote the song.

Of course, it's Taylor and it's about break up.  Ha.  I do love the texture to this song, and like the blog mission says, "Good Music Has NO Expiration Date" since as far as I can tell it was her first single ever 14 years ago.


2) Bury Me in Boots of Spanish Letter - Courtney Yasmineh

Courtney now has made in both Editions; yes it's got a Dylan theme but she mentions many of my legends too.


Another great video.


3) Looking for Luckenbach - Audra Auld Mezra

Of course it would be easy to add Luckenbach Texas, but this song by the late Audra Auld is more important to me.  She was a MySpace friend of mine and I got her cd's direct from her, and then she died of cancer way too early.  Yes the classic line is in the song near the end.


4) Thursday Afternoon July 16th - The Bargain

I love this tribute song to the day Harry Chapin died, just the way they wrote in both a storytelling and instrumental perspective.


5) Hello From Johnny Cash - Sonofmel

Loved to see this song come up in my search.  Lori and I still chuckle how he recognized me at the Trempealeau Hotel.  He had a noisy bar that night but I did get one video of the night.


My father met you under the same blue sky
I stand under and in the ground you lie
How he told you maybe I was your biggest fan
You took the time to shake his calloused hand
You said be sure to tell your boy from me,
Hello from Johnny Cash, now you're on that train they call
the Harvest Moon

I'm actually now sure that I mislabeled this song wrong originally as Harvest Moon, I'll update it..


6) Nine Inch Nails - Ridley Bent, Dustin Bental & Kendel Carson

My song file on this is actually a bootleg I got off a Canadian Internet Radio Station, and I almost didn't put it in the playlist because I figured they never released it.  I did find a few live videos of it, and this one has the cast of characters on the show that night.  This is one of my favorite songs in the world, and I cover it myself sometimes; maybe it's because all about vinyl records too.  (Now don't poop out on this video my favorite Canadian fiddler is on at 2:30 and you have to hear how the story ends which is a little different than my song file.)


7) Mary's Eyes - Janis Ian

Yes I'm partial to this for a few reasons. First I absolutely love Mary Black's beautiful eyes (plus her music ain't bad either), next Janis writes, sings and plays such a soft tribute; and finally I parodied the song with my true love for Lady Mary Crawley in Downton Abbey.  (To stay on theme, you'll have to click the link to hear my version.)


8) Listen to the Radio - Nanci Griffith

While this song is nicely in my CD collection Storms, I recently loved buying the live recording of Nanci in London 1988.  The intro of the song is the end of track before and Nanci talks about Loretta being a great role model for her music.


Since is 4 years later, it's pretty close to how she sounded and looked in 1988.


9) Ford Econoline - Todd Snider

Todd does a great Nanci Griffith cover, which is song about Rosalie Sorrels. (yep I can admit I've seen Rosalie before she passed) From Wikipedia

Folk singer Nanci Griffith wrote a fictional song about Sorrels, titled "Ford Econoline" after the passenger utility vehicle. The song depicts Sorrels escaping an unhappy Mormon marriage, driving from Salt Lake City to San Diego with her five children to start a new life as a folk singer. The true part of the story was that Sorrels certainly did drive her five children around the US in a Ford Econoline van as she toured and sang.[6][16] The song was included on Griffith's 1987 album Lone Star State of Mind, which hit number 23 on the US Country charts. The "rollicking" song was not released as a single,[17] but it was performed frequently by Griffith in concert, including a standout appearance backed by the Chieftains and Roger Daltrey in Belfast in the early 1990s.[18]


10) Voice on the Radio - Tim Easton

Well Tim's voice is very new to me, somehow I got a "Black Mesa Records 2022 Sampler" because I bought a Beth Bombara vinyl of their artist's vinyl.   For this playlist, I looked at the title and said that has to be about some musician or maybe famous DJ.  Ahh... it's the former; it's for John Prine and it's a really a great tribute song to John with just the style of guitar picking.  I just might have to buy more of Tim.


Nice video too..



11) Jesus and Elvis - Hayes Carll

Yes I'm sticking to 12 songs, and when I remembered that Steve Goodman's "Elvis Imitators" I search "Elvis" and found 2 other songs too.  I decided this one needs more plays and yes it's a sad true story as Hayes describe it the video.


Love these live studio videos!


12) Elvis Imitators - Steve Goodman

Cheers to Steve singing this song to now Elvis and Jimmy Buffett in heaven.


For those of you who would like to listen to the whole playlist without multiple clicks, here's a One Click YouTube Playlist.  CLICK and LISTEN


Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!