DBT #257 Haunting of the Blog II

 


Today is special edition as the return of the Haunting of the Blog as we cast a spell of a dozen more songs.


Now these songs are delightfully perfect, and I was helped making the list by a few google and reddit searches; and let's see what I can find where.

1) What's He Building? - Tom Waits

If you can get yourself from not smiling and laughing at this song, you'll see it's creepy enough for a walk around the block during Halloween.


As witnessed by the video.


2) The Battle of Evermore - SHEL

OHHHHHH... SHEL's cover is one for the Dark Lord.  I did get this connected after I heard Wisconsin Public Radio "Simply Folk" play the song 10/29/23.

The Queen of Light took her bow,
And then she turned to go,
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom,
And walked the night alone.
Oooh dance in the dark of night,
Sing to the morning light.
The Dark Lord rides in force tonight,
And time will tell us all.
Ohhh throw down your plough and hoe,
Rest not to lock your homes.
As side by side we wait the might,
Of the darkest of them all.
Ohhh


3) Water Witch - The Secret Sisters

Don't go near the water tonight.


Brandi is bewitching and has a great tastes in artists she recommends.


4) Hurt - Johnny Cash

Watch out for needles tonight in that candy.


5) The Rains of Castamere - Hawthorn

I found this in a Reddit thread.
Lyrics by George R.R. Martin

Music by Ramin Djawadi

From the HBO series 'Game of Thrones' soundtrack.
Tracks included in this medley are:

"The Rains Of Castamere"

"Game of Thrones Main Title Theme"

The music belongs to the composer, the author and HBO.

lyrics

And who are you, the proud lord said,
that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord,
as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke,
that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall,
with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

credits




6) The Sound of Silence - Disturbed's cover covered by Lucky Dog

A workmate Michelle challenged me to make this cover; it was fun.  I never released it because I haven't paid royalties on it.


7) Oh Death - John McCutcheon

This traditional song made infamous on "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" is full of depth with djimbe, didgeridoo, and great hamonies from Robin and Linda Williams.


8) Witches - Katie Callahan

Boy I've always found Katie bewitching.

We are the wild ones We howl at the moon We dance in the desert We are the monsoon The strength of our softness The grace of our limbs The beauty and passion Beyond all your whims So you call us the witches



Right?


9) On Death - Lauren Oxford

Funerals are scary for inspiration, and Lauren sings it in the most old fashioned haunting style.

This song was written in the back of a car and at a hotel following my Nana's funeral. I'd been to funerals before, but not for anyone as immediate to me. I was understandably in a morbid headspace where I couldn't stop thinking about how unsettling the entire thing was, and I thought really hard for the first time about what I wanted when I died. I'd also seen an ad at some point during this whole process for a burial tree pod of sorts, so this is the result of all those thoughts and feelings and questions tumbling around and clouded by grief.


10) The Death of Queen Jane - Oscar Isaac

Loved this movie, and own now several versions of this song.

Queen Jane lay in labor full nine days or more 'Til her women grew so tired, they could no longer there They could no longer there "Good women, good women, good women that you may be Will you open my right side and find my baby? And find my baby "Oh no," cried the women, "That's a thing that can never be We will call on King Henry and hear what he may say And hear what he may say" King Henry was sent for, King Henry he did come Saying, "What does ail you my lady? Your eyes, they look so dim Your eyes, they look so dim" "King Henry, King Henry, will you do one thing for me? Will you open my right side and find my baby And find my baby" "Oh no, cried King Henry, "That's a thing that i can never do If I lose the flower of England, I shall lose the branch too I shall lose the branch too" There was fiddling, aye, and dancing on the day the babe was born But poor Queen Jane beloved lay cold as a stone Lay cold as a stone


11) Eleanor Rigby - Bobbie Gentry

Reddit pointed out how dark this song is, and the Beatles version is almost too upbeat; so let's use the lady infamous for scary Tallahatchie Bridge.   It is an excellent cover.


12) A Letter to the Dead Husband of Mary Bell - Ellie Gowers

This haunting story is perfectly mixed.  A nice cold body to close this set with the last words "I'll see you in Hell"


Yes there is a one click YouTube Playlist that has both volumes for your convenience; muh ha ha ha.


 Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button



The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!