Dave's Music #128 The Haunting of the Blog


I have to again give Carol Roth (Adventures in Americana) a shout out for recommending this though only 1 of the three songs she recommended was on Bandcamp.  Scary easy to get me to buy your music, suggest a playlist and tell me where to find it on Bandcamp... ha.  Now the subject is a lot of fun for me, and I had already done one on GHOSTS alone before; and I purposely didn't repeat some favorites from that playlist... and a year later the Sequel is released. "The Haunting of the Blog II"

1) The Grisly Bride - Cindy Mangsen

My most favorite scary song, yes I brings me back to 1979 seeing her in Manitowoc, and ultimately she and her hubby Steve Gillette played our house concert very early in our series history.  Just a great tale of the grisly honeymoon, try to remember don't get married on a full moon and then stay over night in a secluded cabin in the woods.  Stay away from chain saws in the shed too.


2) Haunted House - Aaron Nathans & Michael G Ronstadt

Boy I love the sound of this song.  I bought the cd during a Bandcamp pandemic buy, someone recommended it to me.


3) Hotel Astor - Trapper Schoepp

This was a song recommended by Carol, he'll be haunted either way.


I loved to hear his description of how and why he wrote the song.  Plus it has a ghost tour reference which will show up later in this playlist in the ninth song.  He is playing the Pump House on Saturday Nov 12th, just might have to go see him.


4) Dearly Departed - Shakey Graves featuring Esme Patterson

Lucky Dog loves to cover this song... Catch me you your bedsheets for when I come alive at midnight; but you had to tell your friends my fangs were fake.  Ok some of you might have heard this song, this video has been seen 9 million times.


And this one hasn't hit 100 views yet; go ahead make my day.


5) Haunting - Lauren Pratt

Call her a little crazy and haunted, you know just a normal person who has been shafted in love.




6) Pray Tell - David Huckfelt and The Pines

The Pines aren't touring currently but I was lucky to land a house concert with David and Benson.  This cut is from the new Bluff View Treats compilation album.  Great stories and songs from our series, all the proceeds from purchases will be put right back into the hands of an independent musician.  I will track these purchases on a post in Facebook, and who knows if we get a dozen artists a blog post too.  This song is a haunting setting told by David with Benson setting the mood.  The whole concert was awesome.


Kind of like this without the drums and bass.


7) Dancing with Ghosts - Karen Savoca

Here's a 2011 release that I had stashed away waiting for the ghosts to come out.


Funny she is joined by Mary Gaines & Chris Wagoner who we walked into the hotel at FARM Thursday and then out on Sunday morning.


8) Ghost on the Prairie - Chad Elliot

Let the storyteller give you the scoop about ghosts beating up a pick up truck, and here in a video from when he was a pup in 2012.


9) Ghosts of St. Augustine - Lucky Dog (Dave Schipper)

Yes this playlist got me wondering whatever happened to that song I wrote after visiting St. Augustine.  I believe I weeded it out before I decided what songs would be on the Basement Tracks album, so I added it as a BONUS track just for you to hear it.  Of course you'll recognize the resemblance to our Blog's logo... ha.. this and the Radio show all had a connection thus I figured why make something new.


I definitely recommend taking the ghost tour in any city, and with St. Augustine being one of the oldest cities in America it has great history and stories.  I used images from local web pages, if they come after me I'll claim it was just free advertising.


10) Sandoval's Ghost - Willy Porter & Carmen Nickerson

Oh my here's that Wisconsin version of the Civil Wars, boy I love this song.


And when I searched it I also found Willy singing with his daughter that I needed to listen to, and she's got great pipes.


11) The Ghost on the Shore - Lord Huron

Not sure if this was mine or Dustin's purchase (we shared the iTunes account) back in 2013.  They are on Bandcamp, but not this song.   Here's a great live cut of them playing the song:


12) There's a Ghost in my Bed - Stone & Snow

I think this one is metaphorically speaking, but I do love ending this playlist with this song for two reasons.  First just on Saturday for Love Stories, I used a Stone & Snow song to end the blog. Of course that happens when you write songs with a flair of subject matters and I've bought most of your music.  Secondly it's a great companion piece to Dearly Departed earlier in this playlist  

There's a ghost in my bed, a ghost in my bed
When I'm sleeping he goes right to my head, right to my head
There's a ghost in my bed, a ghost in my bed
I'm hanging on to every word that he says, every word that he says

He won't let me go, he's kinda like a song that I know
And the music is everywhere
No matter how hard I try
There's still a ghost in my bed, a ghost in my bed



I went with their official studio video... I have to ask Karen why Clint never shows up in these official videos.


Yes and here is a one click YouTube Playlist for 14 videos of songs from this playlist.


For first timers to the blog click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.   Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!