DBT #271 Witch Hunt

 


When Agent Meyer said to Roy in one of the most memorable lines during Fargo Season Five, You know what a witch hunt is, right? Not witches hunting men but men killing women to keep them in line.” it planted a seed for a playlist that I didn't realize that was there until Sarah Peacock gifted me her "Burn the Witch" digital album.  We were discussing a possible house concert and I said I was familiar with her name but not her music.  So as I started listening and clicking on her socials, I quickly answered sure, "Let's book it". Impulsively booking a date is not my normal approach, but I looked at it like, if I don't I may never get another chance.  

So before we get into the music, let's stop and say that Fargo Season 5 is outstanding, and my wife totally agree that the ending episode was one of their best ending.  Let's just say Roy gets his just rewards; now if we could get that other blowhard who spouts "Witch Hunt" to get his.  Here's a preview link to the season. (no spoilers)


Again as I put this list together I had Sarah's song, Stan Roger's "Witch of the Westmorland" and "Witchy Woman" in my head and the rest comes from eclectic mix of new and old digital and some imports I needed to get from the backroom.


1) Burn the Witch - Sarah Peacock

Sarah isn't on Bandcamp yet so I can't review the whole album, but I can make the title track the first song.  I'm guessing that a good chunk of this playlist will not be in Bandcamp, so yes there will be a one click YouTube playlist at the end.  Boy I didn't even get to watching this video until after I booked her.  Outstanding; and now you can hear why I reacted quickly.


2) The Witch of the Westmorland - Stan Rogers

The late Stan Roger's "Between the Breaks...Live" album is a must for every folk lover to have in their collection.  Funny I had to import the song from vinyl, somehow it wasn't in the library.   Sorry the video is just an audio with a picture.


3) Water Witch - Secret Sisters

Hey I don't care if this song has appeared in other playlists in the blog, it's awesome.


4) Witches - Blackbird Raum

Here's 2008 release that I bought in 2014 for some reason, and now it shows up in a playlist and they are in Bandcamp.  I started following them again; maybe I've replanted the seed.  You know the blog's motto, "Good Music has NO Expiration Date"  Crazy they have their entire catalog in BC; thank you.


Now the video is misleading by the picture, it's a live cut in bar in Germany in black and white.  Crank it you'll think they are the best punk folk group you've ever seen.  (Of course the studio version is much easier to listen to.)


5) Witches - Katie Callahan

This song was also in that Haunting playlist, but I still love it and had to share it.  Katie is a talent.  The song has great texture.


A great simple audio video that needs more views:


6) Witch of the Wave - Norman Blake

I found this traditional instrumental gem by searching my Discog collection, on the vinyl "Old and New" I bought it for mainly one song, "Billy Gray" which someday should create another "Tell me a Story" playlist. (Note I find it hilarious that The Secret Sisters "Water Witch" is in that playlist too; and yes I'm already at making "Tell me a Story vol. 2)

The song is a nice little change of pace in the playlist.


7) The Witch Of The West-Mer-Lands - Golden Bough

Yes my search in Discogs reminded me that Stan's song was written by Archie Fisher and I have the song on THREE vinyls.  I passed on importing Archie's version, but was intrigued by the Golden Bough 1983 album "The Boatman's Daughter"; and it has such a great contrast to Stan's.  A female lead giving way to a male lead, both gentle and dramatic in the story telling.  To my amazement, it is out in Bandcamp so like the one above I'm a new old fan of them.


8) Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen - Santana

Playlists need to be at least ten songs in my mind, so I went to Google to find a few more that might not have "Witch" in the title.  Yes there are many more that I don't own and most didn't appeal to me.  This one I had an old vinyl in surprisingly great shape and is now in my digital library too, as well as "Oye Como Va"  Classic album.



9) Witch Hazel - Herdman, Hills and Mangsen

Oh my they are so good singing together and recently were recounting making this album with Ellen Stanley (Mother Banjo) on her show "Back Catalog Listening Show"  This video will not be in the playlist at the end, but it's a great listen.


Awe... the memories of these ladies.  I saw Anne Hills & Pricilla Herdman at least at the Great River Folk Fest, but Cindy Mangsen ...oh my.. Manitowoc, Green Bay, LaCrosse, on a mountain in CO, and yes in my living room for a house concert.


10) I Put a Spell on You - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Another one found in Google, and I'd love to have the Nina Simone's version but until then I own this tasty 3 LP CCR Greatest Hits valued at median of $26.50. (funny it looks like a KTel release)  I'm sure the video was made to be better on LSD.


BONUS Track... Dang I went through the effort to pull out their first album and import the song and then I forgot to include it in the playlist.  The Eagles' classic; ha the version I'm listening to isn't remastered.




Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button




The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!