Dave's Music Edition #8 Tell me a Story

 


Oh likely I am a huge sucker for a good story, be it in song, the intro to a song, or a great story teller.  Today's post started because of the number #7 I was listening to Chuck Brodsky in the car, and it's not always convenient to move to the next song while driving; so I let it play because I just love Chuck's baseball songs and own the CD.  Own it but I quickly found out I didn't absorb it.  His song about Moe Berg was an incredible story that I had to Google later. "Ballplayer and SPY" wow I did not know that, and now this is a new favorite song.


I kept him playing and ANOTHER song I had to google.  "The Unnatural Shooting of Eddie Waitkus"  Dang... Chuck should teach Baseball history is some Rhodes Scholar class.  The first known stalker, I was spellbound all song.


David Huckfelt put out a rich acoustic record with nods to traditional & Native American stories


Added during Tune Tuesday update Sep 27th, here's a great video of the song.



Luke Callen is a fine new folk musician telling history stories like "1938" massacre.


Well unlike me I'm getting a little heavy with male voices, so why not Rhiannon Giddens sharing an old traditional story "Little Margaret"  I love this arrangement.


Added during Tune Tuesday update Sep 27th, here's another great video of the song.


Christopher Gold's funny story about a dream about a plane crashing, I think he's trying to tell you to relax and get your nightly sleep.


Sharing this video in my Tune Tuesday update because look at all those frickin' vinyls; love it.


I was introduced to this story of Michelle Lewis's grandmother in the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting Contest in 2020.  It'll just hit you as sad, but as Michelle told me there is so much hope that she lived through the scars and loved her life.


This is the video that Michelle shared in the contest.



More history is told by the sweet voice of Lauren Balthrop on her Where is Love protest ep.


Now you need smile, so how about the story about Mary Mack, and NOT the comedian who I've booked to the house concert series a couple times.  Jud Caswell should be charged to too many words in 2 minutes and 14 seconds.


I'll leave you with a haunting tale of a Water Witch from The Secret Sisters.


And OH MY... here they are live and mid song Brandi Carlile stops in.



These editions will feature music I own and using Bandcamp links are so easy.  Now put your music on Bandcamp and not that Spotify that pays you jack.  Follow me on Bandcamp

#MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate

So for Tune Tuesday I was going to share a song from this playlist. Maybe a baseball song because it was almost playoffs, maybe David Huckfelt because I just saw him and have tickets to see him in October, or maybe Michelle Lewis because recently I tried to think of her name and it was out of my head... sadly.  Click here to see what I shared, but if you prefer my new one click YouTube playlists; here's this old playlist in the new format. 

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!