DBT #272 Tell Me a Story Vol 2

During the compilation of Witch Hunt, I ran into the Norman Blake album that had "Billie Gray" on it, and I doubled check if that song made it into my first volume of Tell Me a Story Edition No 8 (#8 can you believe how long I've been doing this?) and it wasn't; of course that planted the desire to do volume two.

Now this theme is soooo flexible for a playlist, so I intentionally tried to keep with music recently added to the digital library, so here's what we'll explore:

1) Billy Gray - Norman Blake

This song was so significant Sing Out did an incredible write up of the song:

As I mentioned, after last week’s discussion, it feels odd to have this song end with our romantic heroine left grieving her doomed (anti-)hero.  Perhaps, after we listen to the song more, we can ask Eileen to give us a new, improved Sarah, keen-eyed and handy with a Winchester.  As the song stands, Sarah joins the ranks of Faleena in “El Paso” or Red Molly in “1952 Vincent Black Lightning,” hopelessly distraught as her lover dies violently by agents of the law (or at least justice). Unlike them, she appears not to have known he was an outlaw.  He is not murdered, legally. She is left behind.  Her love redeemed Billy, but didn’t save him.


2) Ronan (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift

If Swifties have discovered football in 2023, I have taken all the attention to make it a mission to learn more about her. (yes NFL is the only sport I still follow)  I asked Siena Christie, an excellent songwriter (winner in Great River Folk Fest and finalist with Kerrville New Folk) if she could give me her three most significant songs because she also studies and listens to her music.  Ronan was one of the songs, and was clear to pick the "Taylor Version" (yes I know and admire her efforts to retake the ownership back)  Oh my this is little sad to listen too often but she made a boy dying of cancer at 4 years old a healing from grief.  It really shows off her writing and her passion for humanity, and here's a more in-depth review of the song. 


3) Acadian Driftwood - The Band with Neil Young and Joni Mitchell

I always loved this song, and noted that it was in the deluxe version of the Last Waltz, and when I imported the vinyl recently I went and got the extra concert songs into the library.  As for the story, oh my Robbie Robertson wrote a historical classic; read about it in Wikipedia.

The video isn't much but it is the music that was that not put on the original album or movie.  I can under it's a long song. Fun to watch Joni flowing to the music.


4) Belle Isle - Bob Dylan

Yes I had "Self Portrait" on my wish list and found it at "Electric Fetus" at a reasonable price.  This song is a great traditional ballad done with his Nashville bandmates.

One evening for pleasure, I rambled to viewThe fair fields all aloneDown by the banks of Loch EironWhere beauty and pleasure were known
I spied a fair maid at her labourWhich caused me to stay for a whileAnd I thought of her goddess of beautyThe bloomin' bright star of Bright Isle


5) Clementine - Luke Callen

Well there you go, you can't listen to this one yet.  I bought the vinyl before the release, and here's the song updated after it released Feb 2nd.


Plus a video I found as I was creating the Release Review of the album. 


6) Queens of the Desert Sun - Jaspar Lepak

Now this one just got released and she'll be playing my house concert series Feb 9th.  What a great song about a good friend.  Love that she submitted the song to the NPR contest too. (wow impressive how many books on the bookshelves)

When time was our friend
We were children as wild as the weeds
We were fearless and bold strong queens
Of the desert sun and heat

Without a care in the world
We roamed through the streets
Your house was a few doors down
And you always welcomed me




7) Small Town New England - Joshua Quimby

A new old voice friend I met back in October; he'll tell you about a small town; plus you get to see him play it live.



8) Evangeline - Kelly Hunt

Maybe it was importing the Emmylou version on Last Waltz, but I love Kelly's story too.  Funny it has ties to the 3rd song, The liner notes described this stripped down masterpiece as "The track “Evangeline” is a thematic centerpiece of the album. It is a dramatic reimagining of the Acadian Evangeline story—a folktale inspired by true events and immortalized by the 19th century Longfellow poem." (from Edition no. 263)


9) The Conductor - Goldpine

A story about the occupied territory by Russians, and it shows the fight against them; and yes there is killing in the song.  Right this is also a new vinyl for me since their show at the Pump House.


10) Reverend's Son - Barnaby Bright

This was a song recorded at their house concert in November about a pastor in love with a prostitute.  Because it's not released anywhere, you can have a different song... Highway 9.


Here's your ONE-Click playlist on YouTube



Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button





The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!