DBT #307 Bandcamp Friday Sep 2024

 


My go to site to buy music did take the summer off from their Bandcamp Fridays where they waive their fees as a gift back to hard working mostly independent musicians posting their music on their site.  Frankly I buy new and old vinyl, and maybe an occasional CD, but BC gets 98% of my digital music buys.  I love their library, the ability to redownload if I my library gets fried, and the community of followers where sometimes I buy music from their collection or they buy from mine.

Ok enough advertising, what music did I buy and I'm trying to digest?

So I had a donation from Susie Markland to buy some music and she didn't indicate what, so I went for the artists I met because of her.  She told me of Walt Wilkins is a Texas legend and he had produced Marc Douglas Berardo's album I just reviewed.  I'm not through the whole album yet, but I loved this song.


When I told her I would buy a back catalog piece from Marc, she said "Downhauler" was her favorite.  Here's one song that I loved so far, which he describes as:

I could have been great wearing a white suit and smoking a cigar somewhere at the backgammon table in old Havana in the days before Castro.


When I worked on the Marc's review, I was intrigued by Carolann Solebello showing up in a couple of his videos.  I was intrigued by the sound of her 2009 back catalog album, and likely will buy more in the future.  When a song is called Papa's Mandolin, I figured it was going to be a great story and it is:


House concerts coming up include Sarah Peacock who I saw at Mile of Music with her musician friend Danni Nichols (who sang pretty harmonies in the bus that day too)  I figured I should look her up, and I found one that only took Euro dollars because it looks like she was living in the UK.  I liked what I heard listening to five songs that I went back and bought another one produced by Sarah.


The more recent album produced by Sarah was dedicated to Danni's Grandmother, (read about it here) and it's such a sweet vintage Americana album with some sweet covers.  Here's a co-write of Danni and Sarah:


I haven't announced it yet but in May I will be hosting two musicians that are touring Jess Klein and Jenny Reynolds, and while Jess has been in the blog four times I didn't know Jenny's music; so I fixed that and it should be a great concert.  I love the groove of this song and the title track is sure to be part of Angel playlist.  Amazingly, I have not published one yet though I already have a playlist 44 songs in my collection.


Ok so next up the intimidating Wishlist where I collect music that I add to from following emails, searches after seeing live music, and then of course from other people I'm following inside BC.  I have way too many in the list, and I do my best to vary my purchases in styles, male/female, and friends/strangers.

I went to buy Couldn't be Happier who I was following since a GRFF Songwriter submission, but when I saw them at SERFA I knew I wanted some of their music in the library.  I couldn't decide and their library is still small in BC so I took the 35% discount and bought the whole library.  Here's a cool bluesy song:


Also from SERFA, I'm beginning to collect all the music Admiral Radio puts out.  Who can't love a song called "Wake up Laughing"?  It's like a soft hug in the morning, here's hoping you all have access to that every once in awhile.


When Carsie Blanton puts out a new album, I buy it even if I might have had some of the songs already from her Patreon supporter.  I'm such a revolutionary.


Another band I buy almost everything they put out is the Cactus Blossoms.  Wow this one is really fresh it was released Aug 30, 2024.


Oh my I don't have enough of Allison Russell in my life; and this single back in April had been sitting in my Wishlist for too long.


Andrea Von Kampen had a single released in early August, I stashed it away to listen to later.  Eyes are my favorite subject, so I scooped it up.


I met Genevieve Racette at the Pump House, and I'm still partial to her voice and songwriter style; she released this single and it's a pretty honest appraisal of lonely world of Instagram.


Honeysuckle was a search find of them covering "Atlantic City" a while back and I love their sound; here's an original I picked up out of my wishlist.


Not exactly how I started following Sally & George maybe a find out of someone's collection; and while I tasted their album, I picked this song to remember them and their cover art.


Speaking of Sarah Peacock earlier, her music is not in Bandcamp and I'm not sure why.  She sings a duet with Bradford Loomis that I picked up.  Nice song. (Yes, I've met Bradford before but this is his first time in the blog)


I met Taylor James Donskey at this year's Great River Folk Fest; and since I recorded his most recent single release, I thought I should buy it... You should too.


Here's the video:


Speaking of videos, The Wildwoods' cover of "Don't Think Twice it's Alright" been my most viral video from the "Around Town" playlist; so when they release music I usually don't have to think twice to buy it.


I had a recent a May release by The Accidentals in my wishlist, and a quick taste of it said, "Do it Dave"... I'm so glad I did.  No where does it say that it is a cover cd, and with many songs that I don't know but a few favorites from the Indigo Girls, Norah Jones, and this favorite from The Roches.  I'm going to love this album.


I noticed my friend (and so many others) Sarah Morris had released a couple songs in early August so I scooped them up too.  You know "I Don't Mind"
 

Speaking of friends, I teased Maygen about me buying their music only if it's in Bandcamp; so when they add new music to the site, I'm compelled to back up my words.  My gain of course.


Another friend who played the house concert series, Jaspar Lepak and she released a personal song for the 2nd anniversary of the reversal of Roe v Wade.  She is such a quality songwriter.


The 2024 Moccasin Creek Festival had a few albums in the wishlist and I added MAW and a back catalog album from Jaimee Harris, more will come later.  BTW I don't find my love of Jaimee's music unhealthy or weird, she's just damn good.



At the Rocky Mountain Folks Fest (Yes I'll eventually post about our second trip) I saw the trio Bandits on the Run and recorded this:


So I bought it before BC Friday, and followed it up by buying their "Now is the Time" on Friday.  Yes very creative vocally and I have a soft spot for a cello in a group.


At the RMFF, I had the chance to hear live a woman I've been following since my days in MySpace, Gabrielle Louise.  She was a songwriter contest finalist and finished in the top 3; she didn't disappoint in the Wildflower Pavilion where I recorded this:


So I bought her live album to remember her; and here's a perfect song for our political world we're living in today.


Of course Pokey LaFarge was a headliner, and he was great as usual, sliding & dancing in and out of songs and yes having a interlude while he changed clothes.  


Speaking of headliners, we're going to see Sarah Jarosz in Peoria next Monday with Stone & Snow opening.  While I tested her Polaroid Lovers album, I loved the rawness of World On the Ground better and I didn't own it yet.


Ok one more legend, Tom Waits released a song I was very familiar with from a cover by Hope Waits (no relation).


Hope (a digital friend I also knew back in MySpace) looks and sounds better than Tom, but I still love Tom's version.


This concludes my recap of BC Friday, boy I love to add new music and I kind of did this post too to make sure I listened more to the music.  Nearly twelve hours of new music takes a while to absorb, now I'll go back to the other songs I didn't list.

Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

#bestunknown #MusicBlog #GoodMusicHasNOExpirationDate


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!