DBT #310 Bandcamp Oct 24 Highlights plus

 


Thanks to Bandcamp for finding Roland to keep their new tradition of BC Fridays in October.  I know it's not outrageous what the charge during non-BC Fridays but I have so much music I lose my motivation to spend over $100 on music.  With Bandcamp waiving their fees, I just find it nice to give back to independent musicians so I indulge more.

So what have I been listening to the last week?  Let's see if I can get you excited.  Since this a Bandcamp special playlist, I'm not going to give you a YouTube playlist or videos; give BC some love for their kindness back to the musicians.


1) Vienna - Humbird

I never expected to find my favorite Siri to ever cover Billy Joel.  She put out two of his songs, so maybe I can talk her into my favorite that made my 1974 50th Anniversary list "The Entertainer".


2) Midwestern Daughter - Haley E. Rydell

I saw Haley at the recent Great River Folk Fest (GRFF), and really loved her song $20 bill; but this whole album is one of my favorites this week; especially the title cut.  Yes she shows do have a couple videos from her at my GRFF YouTube playlist, one playing fiddle behind Taylor James Donskey.


3) Sex is Still a Mess - Dan Reeder

Sometimes you need a little Dan Reeder creativity in your life.  Frankly with 27 songs, I'm still not through them all to appreciate them.  Here's a good one so far:


4) Alive - Jeffery M Kelly

Another artist I saw at the GRFF and even got a video of this song so I thought I would buy his album with the song.



5) Here in California - Molly Tuttle

Molly put out mostly a cover EP though BC's listing doesn't give you a lot of notes about it.  I do know this is an awesome cover of Kate Wolf and I love she's keeping the music alive for a new audience.


6) Immigrant Nation - Mike Ward

Mike re-released this song on little pay what you would like EP, so I jumped on it.  Here's what he said about the EP.  The previous release was on my Immigrant song playlist.

Hopeful, optimistic, always vigilant but Still Troubled

Still Troubled is a six-song collection takes on the issues of the day across our nation. It is dedicated to those seeking change, raising their voice, chasing freedom, making their way from other lands to seek refuge and to all those promoting basic human ideals. From examining the political landscape to the unintended consequences of consumerism to immigration, the album sends signals to our social conscience.


7) Dollar Stores and Strip Malls - Molly Brandt

When my asks me if I know of Molly Brandt and I have to remind her that we saw her at the Root Note and while we liked her the vocal mix sucked and couldn't understand 75% of the words.  Fixed that by buying her excellent new album; so many great songs to pick from and this one has one of those titles I love.


8) Marriage - Kelley Smith

I was so excited to see Kelly Hunt was going to play within an hour of our house at the Big River Theater we jumped at it.  I also shared with Carol Roth with Adventures in Americana that she was playing in the Twin Cities.  When Carol looked she said she loved the opener, Kelley Smith.  Well then, I need to buy a little of Kelley to have in the library.  BTW, seeing Kelly Hunt was top on my Bucket List playlist.


9) Making Peace with John Hartford - McKain Lakey

McKain was another find from the GRFF  and yes I do have a couple videos from her at my GRFF YouTube playlist.  Again, I'm still absorbing the whole EP, but I had to share this one for the title.


10) Country Cool - Shiny Ribs

Now we absolutely loved Shiny Ribs at the Moccasin Creek Festival, so I when I saw I could get the whole Vinyl Record (last of 3 left in BC) and the Digital download for a mere $25 I bit on it.  Now this 2010 release has the infamous song "Poor People's Store" that was featured on Fargo.  I've already highlighted a few songs off this album as "Loved", so here's one of them:


11) The Spell of the Lilac Bloom - Ruth Moody

A slight divergence for the last two songs, thus the plus in the description.   We ended up seeing my favorite Wailin' Jenny up in Winona on BC FRIDAY and I bought her vinyl since she doesn't post her music in Bandcamp.  Yes I hung around to get close to her, thank her for sharing her music, and got her to sign the album.  


12) These Days - Jennifer Warnes

The other thing that happened that Friday was that I got my order from Discogs, and added to my Jennifer Warnes library, now up to seven records or cd's. (Yes I have three more on my wishlist so eventually I'll have TEN.) Of course she's so good at capturing new life into her covers.


Next steps:


- Share

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

#bestunknown #MusicBlog #GoodMusicHasNOExpirationDate


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!