DBT #304 Moccasin Creek Festival 2024

 


2024 was our second visit to Moccasin Creek Festival after having an awesome time in 2022 (Editions Part One & Two)  We didn't go in 2023 partially because my wife Lori basically said she didn't remember anything but being hot.  Ok I'm exaggerating but the middle of Illinois that year was damn hot, but I loved finally seeing Carsie Blanton & The Burney Sisters; plus seeing our old friend Chicago Farmer.

Well this year had both friends and new voices again, and while it was still hot we were better prepared with a portable mister fan.  We had so much fun, we've already bought tickets for 2025 and we don't even know who will be the headliner.  Ok why?

First this is truly an Americana music fest, and you know how big that umbrella is.  They have festival setup where during the day you spend most of your time in a shady part of the grounds with mostly acoustic music and rarely a drum set.  (Yes Lori is even worse in her hatred of drums causing the music to be too loud and the vocals all muddy)  This year we saw our friends Chad and Katherine with Weary Ramblers on that stage; but really that's the stage where memories truly happen when other artists join the performers and make unique music.

Second the main stage is where it can get loud and then quiet, and then loud again.  If you don't like it loud the Lake Sara area is so great to walk around, or go take a dip in the water.  Yes in June it stays light until about 9:00.  Many of the people are camping right next to the fest, but the town is a mere 7 minute drive with a lot of hotels.  (You know we're in a hotel)

Third the size of the festival is perfect; to a point where I almost don't want you to come.  I love mid-sized festivals better, and it's hard to always talk Lori into going to a large festival like we did at Rocky Mountain Folks Fest twice now.

So that was a brief introduction; what kind of music did we see?  Well I was much more attentive to getting at least a song from every one and they are out in this nice little compact 40 video playlist in YouTube :  (Click here or the picture to go to it.)


"FORTY Videos, come on Dave that's too many to listen to pick your favorite ten!" well ok, it's tough but here it goes!

1) "Things have Changed" by Grant Peeples with Jess Klein

Yes all my radio shows opened with either a Dylan song or cover; and this one was special.  We missed Grant during the 2022 festival, and he was definitely a favorite; and my wife where's his t-shirt all the time.  Jess we had just seen at SERFA, and yes I did start conversations with her about booking a house concert.


2) "Cheap Hotel" by Old Fangled

Great fun with a bluegrass beat.


3) "Revolver" by Hope Dunbar

Yes I got to meet and talk to Hope, who I have been following since I reviewed her album "You Let the Light In" a while back.  She was great, and how about a song about shooting someone while you gently play a Uke?


4) "The Driftless and You" by the Weary Ramblers

Ok I loved hosting these two and their live album from the Bluff View is my best selling release.  This song they wrote after the concert; pretty special and talented people.


5) "Annie's Place" by Jess Klein with the Greg Klyma trio

Jess's second appearance in my top ten; and I was lucky to get my favorite song of hers recorded and yes it made a Monday Morning Song appearance.


6) "Hi Hilda" and the "Mennonite Boy" by MAW

Like Old Fangled the day before, MAW brought nothing but smiles and great stringband music.  This video smashes two songs together.


7) "Dry Bread, Hard Work" by Peter Keane

The founder Bill Poss worked hard to get his Austin TX friend Peter Keane to the fest, and boy he didn't disappoint.  Great finger picking and songwriting.


8) "The Fair & Dark Haired Boy" by Jaimee Harris

Maybe why I thought I had already written this MCF review was because I totally fell in love with Jaimee Harris's music and posted a review of her album "Boomerang Town"  For this list, it was truly hard for me to pick only one of the three songs I posted; though this one I think is my favorite; and having Olive Steck on trumpet is pretty cool too.


9) "Open Up My Eyes" by Chris Smither

Oh my, my first time seeing this 79 year old legend.


10) "Poor People's Store and more" by Shinyribs

I had just enough advanced knowledge about Shinyribs to be dangerous and yes I had reviewed his album "Transit Damage"  Yes both Lori and I got in the mosh pit in front and I took some bouncy videos; hey maybe that's why Oliver Steck showed up in his bunny costume in 85 degree heat.  The band was cooking that night; I'd see Shinyribs anytime.


Alright we hit 10 without Sunday, so let's do TWO more.

11) Dennis Stroughmatt and the Creole Stomp late Saturday night....

Yes our first time staying late and walking down to the Lake Shore stage.  It's all standing or dancing, and we hung around for about 5 songs before we called it a night.  We loved Dennis when he played the GRFF some 15 years ago and he's still got IT!


12) "Ain't No Water" by Betty Soo with Jaimee Harris & Jeff Plankenhorn

Ok Sunday's Shady stage had first for me with Betty Soo and Jeff Plankenhorn; plus a song swap with Mary Gauthier, Jaimee, and Chris Smither.  That alone was almost worth the price of admission.  To keep these highlights at a dozen videos how about when Jaimee and Jeff joined Betty Soo.


Maybe you know why we decided to buy tickets for 2025 already, not for the value, but for the statement "We'll be BACK!"

Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button





The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!