Dave's Music Edition #6 Friends

I define friends pretty loosely these days. When it comes to music, I have a great network of musicians I'm pretty connected with; but IF I have never met them face to face they do not count for this edition.  Premise established.. onward but I'm sure this will be followed by social media friends I haven't met.  



There is something special about Lindsay Lou and recently she is stretching her folksy bluegrass roots for a new sultry sound.  She's got the pipes for it and if you get a chance to see her live; she's bubbly attitude is infectious.  This song is a suite, so hang in there almost three songs in one.


David Nash is wonderfully prolific songwriter, and here's great example of his work and his deep connection to get a story tied from history into lyric.


I should have huge welts on my body from pinching myself knowing Natalie Gelman.  Still at a young age she has a tremendous experience under her belt going from street busking in NY to opening for Bon Jovi. This song has a great percussion background.  


Barbaro is unique group not fully bluegrass by definitely new grass tinged.  I'm looking forward to seeing them at the Great River Folk Fest in 2021 on Friday night.


Sometimes I wake up in the middle of night convinced there are Swedish Sirens singing to me from our bluffs surrounding our house, then I remember I shouldn't listen to Sofia Talvik before bed.  Here's a beautiful song from her acoustic release of Paws of a Bear.  It was hard to choose I only have 200 songs in my library.  I believe I own everything she has ever put out.


Speaking of sirens.. "Siren" was the named of the Five Letter Word release, and boy I am a sucker for three part female harmony.  I met them at the fest, but during the pandemic.  One of the members Clara Baker started furniture flipping, and I'm hooked to her Furniture Flipping You Tube channel "Know Can Do" too; but loved her first in this band.


Speaking of pandemic traditions my friend Tim Kolek made it a Friday tradition to go live from his basement and made it over a year!  Now he's playing with Dan Sebranek and Kris Risch at Leo & Leona's 

We are so excited to announce our first LiVE performance after 62 weeks ... #63 at LEO & LEONAS
JKO productions presents;
FRIDAY MAY 28th
TIM KOLEK with JENNIE & ERIN (7pm)
With KRIS & LISA RISCH (6 pm)
AND THEN....
SATURDAY MAY 29th
DAN SEBRANEK & MARY (7:30pm)
With KRIS & LISA RISCH (6:30)
This is gonna be so fun! Please join us for both nights.$15 cover. 

All these artists made it a habit to stream live at set times Friday and Saturday. 

Dan wrote this song and is part of the duo.


While I was lucky enough to play behind Tim on his Scotch song, and he let me put it on the last CD:


I do have Kris's music too but nothing is on Bandcamp where these songs are embedded from.

Now one of the things that you will find a Leo and Leonas is a bunch of nice people up on the ridge above LaCrosse, maybe a scotch for Tim, and the thing you won't find is $13 Beers... Love Chicago Farmer, and while he has a bunch of music released that I own I only found a few compilation CDs... still it's classic.  He has the habit of changing the lines based on the location, and his changes are always so smooth you think he wrote it that way.


I've reached ten and I need to stop? Yep.. just trying to stay consistent though I couldn't find a Dylan cover song of anyone I knew besides myself on Bandcamp and there is no rhyme and pattern to my release of these editions.

I know there are so many to pick from, but it was just Riley Calcagno's birthday, so about a shout for my recent favorite country folk duo.  Vivian Leva and Riley Calcagno are a fast rising duo that played down at the Root Note on a Thursday night, and they are friends with our local awesome head of the acoustic department down at Dave's Guitar Shop, Josh Rabie.  I'm hoping that friendship brings them back to town.

The track I shared I have on vinyl and is a favorite that sounds so old, but Viv wrote it.  Their new release is one of the best released in 2021.


I like to post one video too so here's these two... move over Gillian Welch and David Rawlings.. Viv and Riley are in town.



These editions will feature music I own and using Bandcamp links are so easy.  Now put your music on Bandcamp and not that Spotify that pays you jack.  Follow me on Bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!