Dave's Music #72 It's a Job


Inspired by Mike Ward's Career Advice, I quick put together a playlist without a very extensive search, and yes I know I'm missing a few great songs, "Take this Job and Shove It" and Todd Snider's "Looking for a Job" but I like to go deeper and more obscure to make the playlists more interesting.  (Yes this playlist has an accompany YouTube Playlist linked at the bottom if you want a single click and play)

1) Career Advice - Mike Ward

2nd time this song is in the playlist, but it's worth it.  Let see last time I only shared the Bandcamp link, there is a good video.



2) Truck Drivin' Man - Red Steagall

Yes my recent renewed vinyl addiction and importing is making the playlists more interesting and wildly eclectic.  This one comes from this 1980 Vinyl and yes that's Johnny Gimble he calls out for the fiddle. 


3) Cooper - Harry Chapin

I thought I had all significant releases from Harry until I ran into Legends of the Lost and Found  Cooper is a classic Harry story song about a policeman.


4) Daddy Keeps on Plowing - Front Porch String Band

I added this vinyl to a purchase just to bring it up to $50 and get the free freight.  Love the bluegrass, it never expires and was just a few years from the 1983 release... ha.


5) What's He Building in there - Tom Waits

Back to a Bandcamp recent buy, but good songs from Tom tend to be older releases.  This one stretches the imagination of what that guys job is.


A video... and yes it looks like we'll have a YouTube Playlist at the end.


6) Northwest Passage - Judy Collins and Jonas Fjeld

Recently I was listening to 99% Invisible podcast about the Northwest Passage, and Judy did such a great job with this Stan Rogers song.  Franklin did have a tough job.




7) A Miner's Life - Wolf Loescher & Mark Kenneth

Mark is a musician friend I picked up during the pandemic digitally; he's so good hope to meet him in the flesh someday.


Cool call us lucky, he put this video out with the song solo.


8) Julia Belle Swain - John Hartford

From his Mark Twang vinyl and it has been sitting near LaCrosse getting restored.  Mighty fine crew of women ran the ship according to John.


9) The Horses & Hounds - James McMurtry

Another trucker song, this time from the master storyteller.


Buy it here, the whole release is great.


10) Hands in the Dirt - The Resonant Rogues

This might be a just a hobby farmer, but it's a great song and has guitar, accordion, and fiddle all highlighted in this work song.


11) I Wanna be a Cowboy - Miss Tess

I'll let her.


A very unappreciated awesome video here... give it some love, great yodeling Tess.  Plus I love when you can watch Tess and Thomas exchange guitar licks.


12) It's my Job - Michael Johnson

Seeing Michael in concert was always the best, he was such an entertainer.  Sad he got sick right before my house concert that he was booked to play.  My audience was sold out.


Bonus Track) Blonde Attitude - Lucky Dog

Hey when it's your own song, it's shouldn't be in the official playlist.  This poor soul doesn't like his job and just wants to get laid.  Ha.. not me at all.


My bandmate thought I might have made kind of a sexist video, but I thought it fit the song.  I can't help I wrote it and hope some country singer picks it up someday; retirement royalties would be nice.


YES there is a playlist for those who want to just hit play and get 30-40 minutes of music with commercials intermixed.


Hope you loved the journey.  You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!