DBT #210 Dylan Covers Vol 2


Thanks to sharing the first volume in a FARM Facebook Group, I found out it was Bob's 82nd birthday next Wednesday May 24th, so why not bookend the weeks with Volume 2; or ten more songs.  My overall Dylan Cover playlist has grown to over 9 hours as I dug deeper into my vinyls and scrolled the digital library for more songs that were in the collection before I started to save all these songs in one place.

For volume 2, two all time favorites that could have been in the top ten, Sarah Jarosz's cover of Ring Them Bells that inspired me to learn the song, and Mary's Black's cover of Lay Down Your Weary Tune really to me is the production song that all songs pale to including's Bob's bootleg on Biograph album.  So here we go, let's see where we'll find the songs I've picked:

1) Lay Down Your Weary Tune - Mary Black

While this song could show up anywhere in the blog, it's in my wake blog post; that's how much it means to me. If I die before Mary, someone ask that she attends.  ;-)


2) Ring Them Bells - Sarah Jarosz

This video might be better than the studio version.  It must be an alto mandolin; she owns this song.


3) I Contain Multitudes - Emma Swift

I have a few cuts off of her Dylan cover album... she so talks to me on this one.


and now she sings to me. "I paint landscapes, and I paint nudes, I contain multitudes"... oh Bob.


4) Walk out in the Rain - Eric Clapton

I love a good back story to songs that I've never heard Bob release.  Here's one for you. 

While this live recording is fun:


I share with you the studio version that had such a great beat... I absolutely love this Backless album which has another Dylan cover "If I don't be there by Morning" which is also pretty rare.


5) Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - Joan Baez

I suppose if I have to pick the most significant Dylan cover album for my life it was "Any Day Now".  It was my wife's album and listening to it back in 1978 I discovered the depth of Dylan that I would live with comparing it to forever.  Here's a studio audio a cool retrospective of Joan; ok this is my favorite song from the album, but seeing Joan back then... I think I'm in love where is that time machine.  When it was playing in the car, my wife said "ok Bob what the heck are warehouse eyes"... I just responded "I don't know but they are incredible"  Oh yeah Joan, you can show up for my wake too.  My wife will undoubtably live longer than me and it will make her happy.  Don't do this song, too long... just sing anything you want.


6) Mozambique - Peter Ostrousko

The 2nd volume of Nod to Bob for his 70th birthday and he out lives Peter who played on the Blood on the Tracks album as part of the Twin Cities group.  I love adding this to the playlist for the variety and letting the African chants just grab you.


7) Boy from the North Country - Genevieve Racette

I have so many cover of Girl from the North Country, my digital friend I had a chance to meet in LaCrosse at a concert at the Pump House did an excellent cover and changed the gender.


8) Highway 61 Revisited - Johnny Winter

I just want to remind you that I have a wide collection of music, this one rocks in the studio version; but for the playlist here's Johnny cooking live. (Damn good is in his old age too) You might recognize that young punk Derek Trucks in a supporting role.


9) Farewell Angelina - Saskia

Joan takes the lead in my Angela playlist, but Saskia put out, "Baez, Dylan & Me" which I first sampled and then bought the whole album.  So clean well mixed, don't tell Joan if she shows up at my wake that I Saskia's version better.


10) Restless Farewell - Norman Blake & Peter Ostroushko

Fitting two legends and one departed take us out on such an outstanding cover.


Here's your one click YouTube playlist:




Next steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!