DBT #273 So Strong - Jaspar Lepak

 

Jaspar Lepak just released her 6th album, and describes it on Bandcamp as:

Folk-charting songwriter Jaspar Lepak returns with her new feminist-themed album So Strong. The follow-up to her breakout album Desert Ghosts (which charted in the Top 10 on folk radio), this highly anticipated release perfectly weaves the personal with the political – inspired by the overturning of Roe, the loss of her childhood friend to cancer and her own experiences with pregnancy, childbirth and caregiving. Bravely honest, the songs are deep, sweet and even playful at times. From the funny, science-based “P Is For Placenta” to the unflinching gospel declaration of “I Am Human,” Jaspar proves why folk legend Christine Lavin has called her “the real deal.”

While the themes are timely, the songs sound timeless, mixing classic folk, gospel and country sounds. Recorded with producer Alicia Healey at The Winterblue Room in Seattle, Jaspar brought in longtime collaborator Ben Cook-Feltz (keyboards, vocals) as well as her former Raising Hazel bandmates Avery Hill and Mandy Troxel and fellow Minneapolis musicians The OK Factor (strings), Riley Skinner (vocals) and The High 48s’ Anthony Ihrig (dobro). Never losing sight of the song or Jaspar’s crystalline vocals, the production is warm, radio-friendly and disarming in its pure transparency. Jaspar lays herself bare, guiding us through the world she wrestles with while also highlighting the joy of family and friendship and the power of claiming her own body.

Now you got to LOVE a Christine Lavin quote, and yes she has graced the blog TEN times before this post.  Yes I have several of her songs that are my favorites and they show up in playlists. (Why Does the Devil get all the Good Tunes & Black and White Dress come instantly to mind)  She is a very talented song writer which we'll explore in these tunes.

1) I Am Human

Yes the album starts off with a favorite of mine, with a nice gospel choir.  Helen Reddy would be proud of the use of the line "I am a Woman" even though she added an "a"  

You don’t know me but I’m someone like you
I am a woman, I am human too
I am your mother, your daughter, your sister, your friend
I am a woman, I am human


This is how she'll sound at my house concert series Feb 9th.


2) My Own Moves

Love the instrumental opening, and it again is a favorite from the album. (right I'll try not to say that each song)  Per the liner notes, this song was inspired by a Harriet Lerner's book "The Dance of Anger

"Anger is a signal and one worth listening to," writes Dr. Harriet Lerner, in her renowned classic that has transformed the lives of millions of readers. While anger deserves our attention and respect, women still learn to silence our anger, to deny it entirely, or to vent it in a way that leaves us feeling helpless and powerless. In this engaging and eminently wise book, Dr. Lerner teaches women to identify the true sources of our anger and to use anger as a powerful vehicle for creating lasting change.

To which Jaspar writes:

It’s just the way we learned to dance
You take the lead, I’ll follow your steps
Now it’s my turn to trust my own moves
But it ain’t easy, no it ain't easy


Maybe I should move her concert to the kitchen?


3) Mary

Jaspar I'm guessing at least grew up Catholic as she reaches out to Mother Mary and asks to help cope as woman raising a family.

Mother Mary, how did you grieve?
The loss of your brightest self, the life that you dreamed
My child is the greatest gift I've ever received
But Mother Mary, how did you grieve?



4) P is for Placenta

I remember hearing this first at her FARM concert, and definitely is a funny song.  Not sure I would truly have an appetite for it though.  In her liner notes she describes it as inspired from a book by Angela Garbes "Like a Mother

“The ability to carry a pregnancy to term and give birth is a wildly powerful thing,” Jaspar says. “After I gave birth, I was in complete awe of my body. The amount of strength I held within me was more than I had ever imagined. At the same time, I was ashamed of my body. It didn’t look like it had before. Neither did the time I had to give to my work or previous commitments. Everything had shifted and instead of embracing this new person I was becoming, I was so afraid of losing who I was. Angela Garbes’ book gave me language for my transformation.”



Again another solo video.


5) So Strong

The title song Jaspar says is also inspired by the book "Like a Mother."  In fact the liner notes would tell you that the album is like a book. (too bad I don't read books but I love the music inspired by books)

Like a good book, So Strong takes us on a moving journey. After the opening thesis “I Am Human” (written within weeks of the overturning of Roe), Jaspar shares stories of pain, loss and resilience, ultimately coming to the conclusion that she, and we, are exactly who/what/where we are supposed to be. While her last album was recorded during the pandemic and searched inward, this powerful sequel shows a songwriter unafraid to confront injustice in the world as well as her own insecurities and fears. Songs like “Mary” and “Kind” address the struggles of being a parent and partner while trying to maintain a sense of self, while “So Strong” and “Stay True” defy society’s expectations of women’s bodies and personal successes, finishing off the album with the powerful statement: “You are measuring your worth by the wrong things...When it feels like the whole world is measuring you, there’s only one thing you can do...darling, stay true.”

I love the mix of fiddles and harmonies in this song; and while the song reminds us society doesn't treat women very nice the song is upbeat and hopeful.


Here's a great video taken at FARM 2023, right I went to the 2022 one because we're choosing to go to SERFA 2024 in May.


6) Queens of the Desert Sun

I put this song into Tell Me a Story Vol 2, and it's about a childhood friend, and based on the liner notes I believe she didn't make it through her bout with cancer; though in her notes in the video in 2022 they were still hopeful.  Cancer sucks.





7) Kind

Gentle guitar picking for the quiet reflection of needing to be more kind; the world needs more of this.


Next we're in Jaspar's living room... yes she does a great job letting you hear her music.



8) When I was the Moon

Piano & cello lead, plays gentle like a bedtime story.


Yes I believe she wrote it on the piano.


9) Stay True

Jaspar ends the album upbeat hope to all of women to accept themselves.You know I'm a lover of a great use of a harmonica and harmonies and this song delivers.  She writes about the song, 

"Back in 2014, I was telling a friend about how I was feeling pretty low in my music career and how I was thinking about giving up. My friend told me that I needed a new definition of success. And so I started writing this song. I've picked it up and put it back down again many times over the years. I guess had to go through a few more things in my life to find the right words. I hope you like it!




Ha... I usually don't do One Click You Tube links for Reviews but since there are so many videos I'll make an exception; but listen and buy the studio versions they are delightfully mixed.



Next blog steps:

- Stop over to the Review page to my other most spinned and loved albums.
- Browse the rest of the blogs by stopping at this "Theme Page."
- Enjoy Tune Tuesday which brings you one song from a past blog post.
- See what other post have been most popular recently with our Stats Page.
- Find out who in the world thinks he has the authority to write this blog in the About.
- Let me answer why you won't find the playlists on Spotify here.
- Finally, the Mission page explains why there is no advertising cluttering the page.

If you use Facebook, we have a page that will help you remember to read the next post.

You could always decide to feed my music addiction and donate to the cause.  If you did, I will spend it only on music and even will buy the music you recommend if you tell me to.  Here's a Paypal donate button

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!