Dave's Music Edition 4 May 7th in Ten Songs


My readers and followers have an appreciation of my blogs and facebook group posts know that I've given back to musicians since the pandemic by their music.  Mostly on Bandcamp, and especially after they started Bandcamp Friday that they waived their charges as a show of solidarity during the pandemic.

That said, May 7th was another first Friday that I spent a little over $100 for six hours of music.  At the time of writing this blog, there are still some songs that I have yet to listen to, but I feel very comfortable these ten songs should be shared with the world.

First up from my Dave's Basement Tracks radio show, a Dylan cover this time from an artist I met in the Great River Folk Fest contest, Rachel Sumner.  To my surprise she is also a Kerrville New Folk finalist in 2021 up against a friend Humbird.  While I eyed up the Dylan song as a reason that five track ep includes another favorite. Josh Ritter's "Temptation of Adam"


FLASHBACK Friday addition will be a One Click Playlist below, so here is Rachel covering it live:

Next Tara Dente, who I found in Bandcamp and I think I've brought her to these Editions before.  Today's song comes from an Oct 2020 release, and I was worried she was writing about me in the first verse: 

His favorite thing to do is drink
And just below that, is his need to think
And right beneath those, he loves comedy shows
To process the poison and the things that he knows
All the things that he knows, All the things that he knows


And it ends with the lead writing the best song... yep.  I can dream. 

Boy I love this flashback because I never liked this video before it:


Next up is a sad tribute cd from Steve Earle playing his son's Justin Townes music.  JT died from suicide during the pandemic.  This had to be gut wrenching to do even for tough guy Steve to do.  I picked an upbeat song that I didn't have from JT yet


Of course now seeing this great video of him live reminds me of seeing him at the Dakota Club in 2022.


Changing from the gruff Steve to the heavenly voice from a New England fiddler, Lissa Schneckenburger.  I have a library of music from her ranging from covers, originals, instrumentals and her singing in front of a folk style symphony.  Yes she brought out a single for May 7th and it's always wonderful to hear her voice.


FLASHBACK update, now you can see her too.



If you haven't noticed, I am softy for a great woman's voice, add more for harmony and then if they happen to be pretty, dang I'm normally sold unless their song material is weak.  Hmm a band called Good Lovelies likely check all three buckets and have been a follow ever since I found their cover of "Torn Screen Door" For Bandcamp Friday they released a sweet three song ep, including this song begging the question if "I will be waiting when they get home" dang, have I been asked yet?   I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.


Cute right?... but their music is even better.  FLASHBACK Friday, you get the video too!














The second checklist item was harmonies, and nothing beats a good duet from Donovan Squared... ok they put the name as Donovan Woods and Aoife O'Donovan.  Now a song about Wisconsin would be exponentially better than Iowa, but this song has a deep tie to the song by Paul Simon with hearing Art in the background.  (fyi...I met Aoife's music originally by following the Lissa above.)


There's a very cute lyric video that goes with this song.... to cute not to add it during the flashback.



As I had my six hours of music on shuffle I thought something might have gone astray when I heard Joe Hickerson singing a favorite of mine "O bury me not on the lone prairie"  What it was David Huckfelt using it as an intro to his cover. David's release has garnered much praise and it is very intelligent music and mixes with an intense message of the plight and lack of respect for the stories of the people from the prairies.  Here's what his liner notes said:

When the world's on fire and the seeds of division are sown throughout the land, music and storytelling have forever held a sacred space for healing and renewal. Room Enough, Time Enough, the second full-length solo record from Minneapolis singer-lyricist & folk activist David Huckfelt (formerly of The Pines) is a record about restoring balance: space and attention, peace and equality, redeeming the marginalized, and remembering the forgotten.


Another great video... this is a much better posting with the extra videos.


If you have read the other Music Editions, you'll know that Siena Christie is a find that I'm absorbing her lyrics to my soul lately.  I thought I was ready for more, and while I'm not done absorbing her intricate writing this one spoke to me with Christian metaphors, trying to be the best, and then there is that mask thing that was written before the pandemic.  I love how it starts with a chorus singing:

There used to be a face behind this mask
There used to be a place that felt like home behind this door
There used to be a voice inside this empty shell
Singing songs on a golden shore

FLASHBACK Friday update... the YouTube playlist will not have this song, listen or buy it in Bandcamp please.


Two left and more than two artist that I've bought.. I'm going to stick to TEN Songs max in these editions.  (FF Update, I so violate this in future posts.)

Then I have to highlight Vanessa & Grace, yes two more women but I did buy some other guys besides David too.

Vanessa Peters has been on my radar since 2009 when she sent my little house concert a cd and an ad sheet that talked about her global tours.  Loved the music and knew it would be a stretch to get her to Holmen WI for an audience averaging about 20 back then (Yes now we've had multiple sellouts over 40+)

With chance caught her Facebook live stream, and loved her acoustic playing this new cd.  Definitely she would have played on with the band if she could... some day we'll meet and until then, test me out; follow her, buy her stuff, she loves her fans and is very approachable musical talent.


Yep... FF and a new video.



Ok .... last up and featured would be Grace Pettis, who I met when we booked her for the fest with her dad Pierce Pettis (who might be the closest I would get to a person I would idolize for his intense songwriting skills).  Pierce is on record saying this cd may end Grace's all time break out recording and you just read it here first.  (or second I don't care)  She teased the released the LP with this great video:


Grace like the line in the video, she get's her shit done; and while she has had cds out before none with the likes of Indigo Girls, Dar Williams, Ruthie Foster, Mary Bragg, and Gina Chavez invite to sing with her.  (Grace does tour with two other women that I follow called Nobody's Girl; I bet by now that doesn't surprise you)

Now I'm going to pick the song with the Indigo Girls but being the last song in the blog....just keep listening.


Oh my ... I'm so glad I revisited this playlist, if not for just making me watch this wonderful video:



These editions will feature music I own and using Bandcamp links are so easy.  Now put your music on Bandcamp and not that Spotify that pays you jack.  Follow me on Bandcamp

#MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate

FF Update... here's all the convenient links I'm adding to all the posts:

You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here

And here is the one click YouTube playlist that has become my new norm:


 

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!