Dave's Music Edition #5 GRFF Songwriter Contest

 


Ok I would be remiss if I didn't cross promote the Great River Folk Fest Songwriting Contest that I'm one of the first round judges.  I had the opportunity to listen to nearly 200 videos last year and this year we're already have had nearly 50 in two weeks with six more weeks to go. Since I've said this is more of a streaming Bandcamp blog rather than videos, let's see what gems I can find for you, and I'll flip between last year and this year's contest through out the post.

So I used up this year's contestant Rachel Sumner's Dylan Cover last week, so how about Sofia Talvik, one of last year's finalist, as she sings lead for Lucky Dog the Dylan parody, "To Feel the Likes"


Back to this year's contestants, Holly Clausius submitted a pretty intense video to a great song she just put out recently.  Something about Holly's voice reminds me of the great Australian singer Missy Higgins.
 

Last year, John Louis was a finalist and released two great singles this February... here's one.


This year the first two weeks Stone & Snow caught my eye with two solid submissions only to find out that I had bought some of their music back in March 2020 and they were highlighted during the NPR Tiny Desk Contest.  What a surprise, since then I've connected with them.  I could see a house concert in the future.  Why not they are good friends with Chicago Farmer AND Karen Bridges (the woman in the band) is from Wisconsin and owns stock in the Packers.  Here's one that I owned BEFORE even the NPR contest gave them a shoutout, I will be owning more:


One of the pace of the contest last year was that we had a finalist selection each week.  This was hard on the judges to pick, and had it's own suspense for the musicians.  We ultimately did not have enough spots for all the good songs and writers.  Pat Egan was one of those and he kept sending us fun songs, to a point where there was no way I wouldn't buy his music.  This was my favorite of his:


Next up is not yet a purchase, but Daniel Elixir has really gotten my attention and into my earworm with his song "Probably Not" which he said he wrote while hay baling.  He followed it with "5 Blind Men" both with incredible circus metaphors and verses.  So I found him in Bandcamp and if I didn't find "Clown Car".. So now will I find out his mother and father grew up in the circus?  I'm hoping to learn more about him.


Last year and this year's contest too is one of my favorite voices, Eli Gardiner.  While some of you might be saying your favorite voices are Leonard Cohen, John Prine, Greg Brown, and Bob Dylan... I would say to you... and SO?


Next up is another song from my wishlist, and it's from a friend from last year's contest Erik Kjelland, and this year he has submitted his duo with Beth Kille. as Kerosene Kites.  All I can tell you is that there submission are a reason you should tune into our blog for highlights.  After I buy the cd I might have a better selection, but this one hugely this intrigues me.


Last year is so well documented in our finalist mix available on Bandcamp, I would pick this song to start with because it was a new mix put together after the contest by Winnie Brave.  Their video submission was one cool ass shot in an abandoned cabin in the desert.  The song was awesome, and still is:


Ok last song of the blog from a new submission is also a repeat from a submitter last year, Dave Starke who we aren't paying for his flight from South Africa, I would love him to win and have him play my house concert in a quiet setting to hear his Cohen words.  This song in my wishlist now but I will be buying was his first week submission.


Past episodes:

These editions will feature music I own and using Bandcamp links are so easy.  Now put your music on Bandcamp and not that Spotify that pays you jack.  Follow me on Bandcamp

#MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!