Dave's Music #150 Buffalo Rose - Again, Again, Again


Wow... guess who made it to 150 blog posts... ME!  It's been a ride since #1 back on April 24, 2021 and of course it was about my recent Bandcamp purchases.  Then after viewing success of the review on The Calico Stray, I decided to make it a weekly tradition to post a Thursday Release Review, and I even went through the extreme of writing rules of how I would choose the release. 

So today we visit another relatively new group for me, Buffalo Rose.  I discovered them only because of FARM and I don't think I'll ever stop following them.  Wow was basically what I said every time I had a chance to see them that weekend.  So I was tickled that they uploaded their new album in time for Dec Bandcamp Friday.

Reading the liner notes I quickly noted most had Rosanna Spindler rather than Margot Jezerc as the second female vocalist.  I see she left the band in May 2021.  All I can attest to is musically it doesn't sound much different that what I saw, and I can only tell you Margot & Lucy make this group amazing to watch and listen to.  


If you have read my other reviews, you know I love to snoop around and see what others of said.  I found out from NoDepression that Lucy is an avid reader While The Glide did mistakenly put Margot on "New World" they wrapped it up pretty well in the last paragraph:  

Again, Again, Again by Buffalo Rose is a true study in song arrangement. The melodies are mostly pretty subdued and folky, but it’s that subdued instrumentation that allows the listener to focus on the beautiful vocals that make you wish you had half as much ability as a singer. It is a tremendous album in any circumstance, but makes a great soundtrack to accompany your morning coffee.

They did collaborate with the legend Tom Paxton and did get a Grammy consideration for it, and Tom is quoted to say, "How can a band be loose and tight at the same time? Listen to Buffalo Rose for the answer. I flat love them."

Yep loose is what I remember too, and yet six individuals with a groove and instinct that made their music flow in such a distinctive style.  While this album is going to impress you, seeing them live is a must.

1) New World

They start with a single voice and soon have you running through mazes with you heart pounding to the bass.  What I noted immediately is there are no extra drums, just like the live performance they get plenty percussion from the mandolin and the guitar.  


2) Machine Man

My only complaint about this fantastic song, it should be longer.  You're just getting the whoops with the ladies and it's over, so you need to hit it replay.  I love that they give you a video for it though.


And no staged video for this group, the video is a fresh recording and oh so crisp.  Now see what I mean that watching Margot and Lucy makes their live performance a delight in motion.


3) Oh Brother

They slow it down with a song written by Lucy with a little haunting hymn, and I'm glad she's left behind.


UPDATE Oct 2023... I have access to this sound in an unlisted video since I'm a Patreon of the band (and really you all should too come on a 6 piece band needs every dollar of help) I think it's been out long enough that you should get a listen if you make it the blog post.  I kind of hoping the band won't be mad at me.



4) Hallelujah Anyway

It feels this is lead by Rosanna first but their vocal arrangements again is incredible.  I know people want to find comparable bands, but this song should be presented.  Shout it from the hills, hallelujah this band is new and fresh and only wishfully imitated.


5) On Reason and Passion

Malcolm goes off the dobro and picks up a banjo and gently puts into the texture.  I love to listen to this song with my headphones on to hear the gentleness of the vocals especially in this last verse... I really just want those harmonies to keep going.

Teach me to surrender to the dark Tried to reason with my heart Oh tell me what you really want Every pretty picture came from colors once apart Shot the arrow missed the mark Oh tell me what you really want Oh tell me what you really want


6) Body Language

Ok just when your about to drift away they come across the room and wake you right back up.  Knowing these ladies they are dancing to this one.  Almost has a groove right out the 70's Earth Wind & Fire, with a nice touch adding a flute.

Cause I can speak your body language yeah yeah I can get fluent in your movement Baby let me prove it yeah
 

Updated Feb 20th with this great new video.



7) Modern Love

"You got a minute?" Shane asks as he navigates today's digital distance, since I'm old school I can appreciate.

Everyone’s digital take me to the physical
Touch screen touch me with your modern love


8) Cabin Fever

A nice instrumental showcasing the guitar and mandolin, of course should be and is a co-write of Shane and Bryce.


9) The Escape Artist

Yes let them take you to the circus in this mystical journey and where the title of the album comes from to which I would reply I will obey and listen over, over, over,.....


10) Born

Fitting they bring God into one of their hymn vocal stylings, the mandolin work in this piece is so strong.  He should be getting paid overtime, to say nothing of Malcolm on that dobro and Jason on bass; a great string band highlight reel.

I want a century of rain
I run and no one calls me
I was born but God gave me no name
Like the land I move so easy



We get treated to a video that they made for their tiny desk submission, now I see Lucy now is the shortest in stature in the band.



11) U Up?

Officially the liner notes say we get to hear Margot join the group, and it's definitely not the end of the band to have the switch.  I'm truly sad we're at the end of the end of the album.  If they add any more live videos of this group of songs, I'll update this post.


Speaking of Margot, I'd buy a T-shirt but I would never look as good as she does.


BONUS... if you haven't seen this video yet, you can add to the 117,000+ views


All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp


The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!