DBT #173 4 Albums Bayfield Edition


My wife and I have always loved to go to the Big Top Chautauqua outside of Bayfield WI.  Over the years we've seen many of their musical documentaries, Jackson Browne, Brandi Carlile, John Prine, Nanci Griffith, Gaelic Storm, and Greg Brown.  What we love is that they have great sound people, we have never had an issue of not hearing the vocals crisply over the instruments.  We can SIT with a clear view of the stage; and of course over time we've become spoiled.  So spoiled that we became members of the Blue Canvas Club so we could get access to early ticket purchases.  Sure we paid more but we're not saving money to pass to our son when we die... ha kidding a little, but we worked hard through life to afford little pleasures and this is ours.  Last year Lori's email was on the list, and let's get say she wasn't diligently watching and we missed getting good seats, so we just passed and never went to a concert.  This year the retired old fart is on the email, and I'm an early enough riser to catch them all.   

Choices, yes we all make choices.  We're probably spending more that trying to find these groups at a festival, but go back to the advantages.  The Big Top is like a huge house concert under a tent.  Our only issues has been when lightening stopped the Brandi Carlile concert, but lightening at a festival isn't fun either.


So today's 4 Album review playlist is the Bayfield Edition that are Bandcamp purchases that are in my listening rotation, as well as others from their library for 3 concerts were attending.

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils with Maygen and the Birdwatcher Sat July 8th
Sierra Farrell with Special Guest Sun July 9th
The Wailin' Jennys Fri August 4th

So let's taste the music of my upcoming summer trips up north (Yes it is a 4 1/2 hour trip from home, but to move from one part of God's country to the next does take time.)

Let's do in order that they'll be on the stage, first up the opener for OMD, is Maygen and the Birdwatcher.  This group from the Twin Cities I've been following but I haven't hit a concert of theirs.  There isn't a better place to listen to them, and I'm very excited to hear them live.  I picked up their Bootleggin at the Flower Shoppe album because unlike the Moonshine album, the label isn't getting in the way of putting it on Bandcamp.  They described it as such: 

The band went right back to Flowers Studio (The Jayhawks, Mason Jennings, Soul Asylum, Jeremy Messersmith, Lizzo) with Kris Johnson (their engineer on their award winning 2021 Moonshine album), and recorded the more energetic and good-timin’ songs that were written around the same time, but hadn’t gotten the chance to be properly recorded and shared with their fans.
They like to think of Bootleggin’ as Moonshine’s companion, released less a year from each other, with many different things to offer listeners that have grown to look forward to their diverse approach to songwriting. Afterall, what's Moonshine without some Bootleggin'?

credits


I know, I know someday I'll buy the physical cd of Moonshine, but even without hearing that one; this EP ROCKS and it's been a favorite.  It kicks off a little banjo and a big old smile with a No Joe an answer to all those traditional Joe songs.  I love the verse about going to same restaurant, and having a crush on the waitress, while it doesn't work out I'm still rooting for Joe.  Maybe he won't be such a jerk in the future.


If that wasn't fun enough, it slides right one of my Top 60 songs from 2022.  Her love flows out in song textured with such a tasteful mandolin, banjo, and harmonies.  Dang good song. 


Plus you get a fun video too... bonus... loved family & friends mixed in with the dizzying footage road driving too.  Come on people it has been viewed only 277 times, it's too good, watch it.


I'm assuming Noah takes lead on the next to rockers, which are good and they end with another favorite, "Oh Lord"  Again changing the texture with a dobro, and some "Oh Oh's" in the background.


Here's the whole EP to stream at least a couple time before Bandcamp ask for you to buy it; which you probably should anyway.


Next on stage is 70's band that it was only last year that I even knew they were still playing together with two of the original members and one kick butt fiddle player in Molly Healey.  Molly was at the Moccasin Creek Festival and I wrote mainly about her in Part 2 of my recap.  (P.S. this is a great festival we went to once, and it will be on our list to attend again, probably not each year though... this looks like a Bayfield year)  I laugh when I told my hairdresser I'm going to see "The Ozark Mountain Daredevils" she said who? and all I had to start singing was "Jackie Blue" and "If You Want to Get to Heaven" and yes she got it.  I wasn't sure if I would find anything on Bandcamp for them, but wonderfully I did.  While I have added a few more vinyls to my collection in the past year but for a mere $10 I got digital versions of many favorites remastered.  Now the hits are on there but let's listen to my favorites:

A favorite attitude I've lived with during my life, and you wonder why I smile a lot. 


The hilarious Chicken song with the best Jaw Harp you'll hear recorded.


And finally a song I love to listen to while walking:


If you are worried it's a pale imitation of the old band, this video should make you think twice:


Here's the whole album:


Ok so we had first bought tickets for The Wailin' Jennys and then the Ozarks and I get this email; Sierra Ferrell is coming to the Big Top, REALLY I thought I just wrote she was on my bucket list.  Well I looked the day after the OZARKS... BABY... one less trip up north and a back to back.  I did have to quickly get Lori's buy in since she hadn't heard much of her in my music.  Boy that was fast, a few quick videos and she was convinced.  Now this album did get on a lot of peoples top lists it was released in 2021 and I really didn't listen to it much until lately.  You know my blog's motto, Good Music has NO Expiration Date, and now I'm devouring it.  I love the quote about her album:

I want my music to be like my mind is—all over the place. I listen to everything from bluegrass to techno to goth metal, and it all inspires me in different ways that I try to incorporate into my songs and make people really feel something.” -Sierra Ferrell

-Guest musicians include Billy Strings, Jerry Douglas, Tim O'Brien, Chris Scruggs, Sarah Jarosz, Dennis Crouch.

I'm sure she won't travel with those great musicians, but the event is teasing there will be a special guest.

The album starts with a sexy and haunting Saw played in the background that is remindful of a Pokey LaFarge groove.  


The video I picked doesn't have her album studio version, but how could I not share this sultry video:



"Jeremiah" had to have Jerry Douglas (yes a disappointment is when more information isn't posted in Bandcamp) on a wonderfully flowing dobro; but I found she has the credits on her site and nope.   Love the instrumental melody in this song, and as the song ended their love did grow sweeter with time.... so did my love of this album.  The video from the Grand Ole Opry, love the outfit; must be hard to play with that much fringe.




"Bells of Every Chapel" feels like that is Billy Strings in his flying fingers (and it was); but while that is a highlight the song just puts a smile on your face; and life needs more reason to smile.


Now the video is just Sierra and a guitar and I think I love this almost more.


The next song "At the End of the Rainbow" has been featured in both Tune Tuesday and the Rainbow playlist, so I bet you know I like that one just a touch, eh?

"Silver Dollar" sounds like it was plucked out of the country archives, but of course all these song were written or co-written by Sierra.


I never know what type of band she'll show up to at the Big Top, but I'd be happy with just this trio.



One more song to highlight... my wife Lori heard this song and asked who it was, the horns and rhythm really goes back to Sierra's quote, her mind is not confined to one style of music.


While searching for liner notes I did try Discogs to find out how Rounder had fun with this album and several limited editions.  Catch this Olive one for about $64, there are only 1,000 in existence.

I have had committed myself to post videos from songs in the release here are a few more:



Gracious there might be more videos, Sierra is not camera shy for sure.  Here you go the whole album to listen to:


So maybe this is more a blog post about Sierra, but there are three ladies from Canada that I'm so looking forward to.  The Wailin' Jennys.  Once before we saw them live in Winona MN, but from way in the back, this time from the second row center.  YES BABY.

I recently bought Fifteen album on Bandcamp and it's described, my comments in red.

Almost five years ago (2017 specifically), The Wailin’ Jennys released Fifteen, to celebrate a 15-year musical partnership that has created three award-winning, Billboard-charting studio albums and one magical live recording—bringing them a loyal worldwide fanbase. On Fifteen, Nicky Mehta, Ruth Moody and Heather Masse, bringing their passion and stellar musicianship to a carefully curated collection (What I admire about them is their tastes in music) of some of their favorite songs, including tracks by Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton. Steeped in the artistry and elegance that has defined their career, Fifteen presents The Wailin’ Jennys at their very best. Opening with their stark yet elegant rendering of “Old Churchyard,” sung acappella (commence goosebumps) over a single droning viola tone, the album then shifts to a gorgeous full-band acoustic version of Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers.” Other highlights include their moving interpretation of Emmylou Harris’s “Boulder to Birmingham,” their update of Paul Simon’s “Loves Me Like a Rock” (incredible favorite) (from a women’s point of view) and songs by Jane Siberry, Warren Zevon and Patty Griffin. They also do an achingly beautiful a cappella version (goosebumps again) of Dolly Parton’s “Light of a Clear Blue Morning” that resonates as a call to hope in these troubled political times. Produced by The Wailin’ Jennys and engineered by Joby Baker, the album also features additional musicians Richard Moody (Ruth’s brother), Sam Howard, Adrian Dolan and Adam Dobres.

Starting as a happy accident of solo singer-songwriters getting together for a one-time-only performance at a tiny guitar shop in Winnipeg, Manitoba, The Wailin’ Jennys have earned their place as one of today’s most beloved international folk groups. Founding members Ruth Moody and Nicky Mehta, along with New York-based Heather Masse, continue to create some of the most exciting and exquisite music on the folk-roots scene, stepping up their musical game with each critically-lauded recording and thrilling audiences with their renowned live performances.

Frankly if you have been living under a rock and don't know about this powerhouse group, start you journey here:


Now for the videos from this release... oh my I got lucky and my favorite is out there:


Tom Petty song never sounded better:


A fan posted this from looks like around the 2nd row... hey a great perspective on what my night will look like.


All my Reviews are both for you and me as I learn more about the artists when you slow down and listen.  Click here to see the past releases. You can find and follow us on Facebook  and as always Good Music has NO Expiration Date, so if you are listening to this ten years from now, it still will be awesome music.  If this is a first time visit, check out the index of themes for past Reviews and Playlist editions and for the Reviews alone, click here.  Find out why I do this here,  who I am here, and why I hate Spotify here.

 #MusicHasNOExpirationDate #MusicDiscoveryDate #LPDualRate #musicblog #Mixtheme #musicblogger #playlist #musicislife #musiclife #musicvideo #blog #musiclover #musicindustry #songlist #notonspotify #newmusicalert #musiclovers #instamusic #explorepage #musicreview #singer #artist #musicians #musicnews #blogger #Americana #bandcamp

The Top Four Posts in the Last Year!